iCan Media Lab
Our newest addition to the Glenwood-Lynwood Public Library is the iCan Lab (Information, Creativity, Art, and Networking). This creative technology studio is available to all Glenwood-Lynwood Library patrons. Equipped with four Apple desktop computers, the iCan Lab is the perfect place to create high quality projects.
(All Adobe versions are CS6)
|Adobe Photoshop||Adobe Illustrator|
|Adobe InDesign||Adobe Premiere Pro|
|Adobe After Effects||Adobe Encore|
|Adobe Fireworks||Adobe Flash|
|Adobe Dreamweaver||Adobe Prelude|
|Adobe Flash Builder||Adobe Speedgrade|
|Studio Recording microphone||Studio Headphones|
|MIDI Keyboard||HD Video Camcoder|
|Green Screen/Chroma Key Backdrop||Electronic Drum Kit|
The iCan Lab is open to Glenwood-Lynwood Public Library District (GLPLD) cardholders (12 years of age and older) in good standing. Good standing is defined as having a valid GLPLD card with less than $5.00 in fines. Those who are not GLPLD cardholders may use the iCan Lab at a cost of $2.00 per hour (60 minutes).
Adult patrons (18 and over) must present a valid state ID, driver’s license, or passport and a GLPLD library card in good standing at the time of the appointment. The cardholder booking the iCan Lab appointment is responsible for other users accompanying him/her.
Children ages 12-17 may utilize the iCan Lab with the signed permission of a parent or guardian.
Children under 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and must remain in the Lab with the child at all times.
There are four workstations available for use in the iCan Lab (3 stationary and 1 mobile). Each workstation is comprised of an iMac computer, wireless mouse and keyboard and associated software.
Individual workstations within the iCan Lab can be used during library operating hours and do not require any advance notice; However, reservations may be made and will take precedent.
Each reservation is for a two-hour time period, and can be extended provided there are no reservations for the following time slot.
Reservations can be made up to two weeks in advance, but only one advance reservation may be held at any time.
Any project involving the use of a microphone or non-headphone compatible instrument will require a whole-room reservation. All other projects will reserve one single workstation.
Group Project Reservations
The iCan Lab is available for group projects. Reservations can be made for the entire room and extended beyond the two-hour limit if there are no reservations for the following time slot. Groups are limited to 6 people.
iCan Lab Appointments
Contact the library at 708-758-0090 to schedule an iCan Lab appointment. Appointments will be held for 10 minutes after scheduled start time.
If you require instruction, contact the library and leave a message for the iCan Lab Specialist. He/she will return your call to schedule an appointment.
Bring your valid GLPLD Library card and your state ID, driver’s license, or passport when checking in. These will be held until you are checked out at the end of your session.
Staff is available for basic assistance during iCan Lab operating hours for experienced users.
Novice users who require personalized assistance must make an appointment with our iCan Lab Specialist. Appointments with the iCan Lab Specialist will not be accepted for extensive artistic or graphic design consultation or general computing questions.
Comprehensive online training, Quick Start Guides, and books are available upon request.
iCan Lab Rules
• The iCan Lab will be open during normal Library hours, but closed 30 minutes prior to the Library closing.
• All general behavioral guidelines for the Library apply.
• No food or drinks of any kind are permitted.
• A maximum of 6 people are allowed at any time
• The iCan Lab is to be used solely for digital media projects. Those with general computer needs should use public computers or laptops.
• Patrons should keep noise levels to a minimum and use headphones when possible.
• All work, file saving, file uploading, etc. must be completed by the end of your reservation.
• Users must save their work on their own external memory source or one checked out from the library (external hard drives are available for checkout and CDs and flash drives are sold at the Circulation Desk). If a Library external hard drive is used, the project will be deleted after 1 week of storage.
• The Library will retain the external hard drive when not in use. Please note that other users may also have their work stored on the Library hard drive.
• Do not use any of the equipment for illegal or unauthorized reproduction of copyrighted material or content you have not been authorized to reproduce or distribute.
• Please report any issue with the iCan Lab equipment to the Reference Desk.
Some of the equipment in the iCan Lab is available for checkout to be used outside of the library for GLPLD card holders only. The checkout period is 3 days with no renewal or holds. Overdue fines are $5 per day per item. The following equipment is available for checkout:
- External hard drive
- Green Screen w/stand
- Sony Video Video Camera
- Video Camera Tripod